We offer two types of membership. Regular membership is recommended for CFA Program candidates and is required for award of the CFA charter. For investment professionals who do not plan to pursue the CFA charter, affiliate membership is the appropriate track.
This membership type is recommended for candidates in the CFA Program and required for award of the CFA charter.
To become a regular member of CFA Institute you will need to
Apply for Regular Membership
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or have equivalent education or work experience
- Pass Level I of the CFA exam or pass the self-administered Standards of Practice Examination as part of the activation process
- Have 48 months of acceptable professional work experience in investment decision making
- Provide professional reference statements
- Apply for membership in a CFA society. Society membership is voluntary and highly recommended. Learn more.
- Agree to adhere to and sign the Member's Agreement and the Professional Conduct Statement
- Pay annual dues
- Adhere to the OFAC Compliance Policy. Residents of certain countries may be prohibited by law from becoming a CFA Institute or Society Member.
Already have an application in progress? Manage Your Member and Society Applications.
This membership type is recommended for investment professionals who do not intend to participate in the CFA Program or who have not yet met the requirements for regular membership. Affiliate members receive the same benefits as regular members, however, affiliate members are not eligible for award of the CFA charter and may not vote on CFA Institute proxies. Society membership is required for affiliate membership.
To become an affiliate member of CFA Institute you will need to
Apply for Affiliate Membership